What is Ostomy Skin Barrier Paste?
Ostomy skin barrier paste is an adhesive that creates a seal between the skin and the ostomy-pouching system. The paste is typically made from a combination of synthetic polymers, such as silicone, and natural materials, such as pectin. When applied to the skin, the paste forms a protective barrier that helps to prevent leaks and skin irritation.
Benefits of Ostomy Skin Barrier Paste
Ostomy skin barrier paste has several benefits for individuals with an ostomy. Here are a few essential ones:
- Protects the Skin: One of the most significant benefits of ostomy skin barrier paste is that it helps to protect the skin around the stoma from waste material. This can help to prevent skin irritation, itching, and infection.
- Reduces the Risk of Leakage: The paste helps create a tight seal around the stoma, reducing the risk of leakage. This is especially important for individuals who have a more active lifestyle or engage in physical activities.
- Easy to Use: Ostomy skin barrier paste is easy to apply and can be used with most ostomy pouching systems. It can also be removed easily without causing damage to the skin.
How to Use Ostomy Skin Barrier Paste
Using ostomy skin barrier paste is a straightforward process. Here are the basic steps:
- Clean the Skin: Before applying the paste, clean the skin around the stoma with a disinfectant. Dry the skin thoroughly.
- Apply the Paste: Squeeze a small amount onto your fingertip or a specialized applicator. Apply the paste to the skin around the stoma, covering any creases or folds.
- Smooth the Paste: Use your fingertip or applicator to smooth the paste to create a thin, even layer.
- Wait for the Paste to Dry: Wait for the paste to dry completely before attaching the ostomy-pouching system.
- Attach the Pouching System: Once the paste has dried, attach the pouching system to the stoma.
Tips for Caring for Your Ostomy
You can take care of your ostomy by following these suggestions:
- Clean the skin Regularly: Clean the skin around the stoma at least once daily to prevent infection and skin irritation.
- Check the Seal: Check the seal of your ostomy pouching system regularly to ensure that it is secure and that there are no leaks.
- Change the Pouching System as Needed: Change the pouching system as needed, typically every 3-5 days or when it becomes full.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink a lot of water to keep your stools soft and prevent blockages.
Ostomy skin barrier paste is an essential product for individuals with an ostomy. It helps to protect the skin around the stoma, reduces the risk of leakage, and is easy to use. By following the tips for caring for your ostomy, you can help to ensure that you stay healthy and comfortable with your ostomy. Contact your healthcare provider if you have questions or concerns about ostomy skin barrier paste.